The Hobbity Yule Calendar 2018

Discussion in 'Latest News' started by Pycella, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Pycella Member

16.jpg

Today, we reveal a recipe by Miss Molly! It's a sweet tater pie you can eat as a dessert. Sounds comforting and tasty! And as Miss Molly likes the colour purple, one can optionally use purple taters for this one.

800px-SweetPotatoPie.jpg

Photo courtesy: Ernesto Andrade – Wikipedia/Flickr CC BY 2.0
    Miss Molly’s Sweet Tater Pie (dessert recipe)
    By Mollywobbles Puddingdale

Pie Crust – 9 inches
    • Home-made Pie Dough
    • Flour, for rolling the dough
    OR

a lovely vanilla biscuit or graham cracker biscuit pie crust. Them ones on sale at the market fer yer larder will do nicely!

OR Miss Molly’s favourite: CRUSTLESS!!!!

Sweet Tater Pie Filling
    • 2 1/2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (about 5 large, scrubbed clean but unpeeled)
    • 1 stick butter, melted
    • 1/2 cup evaporated or whole milk
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 2 large eggs, room temperature
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) freshly grated or ground nutmeg
    • 2 teaspoons (or more to taste) freshly grated or ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) vanilla extract
    • Can also add some maple syrup for added flavour (to taste)

DIRECTIONS
    Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly and pat dry.
    Pierce each sweet potato a few times with the tines of a fork. I prefer to oven-bake them:
    • Heat oven to 400° F
    • Pierce each sweet potato 5-6 times with the tines of a fork. Then place them on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
    They can be microwaved, but if you do – general instructions:
    • Pierce each sweet potato 5-6 times with the tines of a fork. Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, rotating halfway through.
    • If the sweet potatoes are not tender after 5 minutes, microwave in 30-second increments until they are. Really it should take no longer than 8 minutes in total depending on how large the potatoes are.
    NOTE: Baking or microwaving the potatoes gives them the wonderful caramelized texture that they are known for. The skin puffs up and gets crispy – which is why piercing is so important. SO DO NOT BOIL!

When done:
    1. Split each sweet potato and use a spoon to scrape the flesh into a medium bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes—you should have about 2 cups.
    2. Beat in the melted butter. Add the sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple syrup, and salt and beat just until the sugar is dissolved.
    [Note that the color is a deep brownish orange (compared to the lighter yellowish orange of a pumpkin pie … the sign of a nicely seasoned pie.]
    3. Spread the filling evenly in the pie shell if you are using t a crust.
    4. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for at 425°F for 15 minutes.
    5. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Continue baking until the filling is set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes longer.
    6. The pie can be served warm or cold. Transfer the pie to a cutting board or wire rack to cool. Let stand at room temperature for at 20 minutes to half an hour to serve warm or one hour before serving cool.
    7. The pie can be served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
    8. The remainder of the pie should be covered with aluminium foil or plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2-3 days.

NOTE: Yer could be bold and use the PURPLE Sweet Potatoes – but the cooking times on those are longer and the seasoning will have to be adjusted, again mostly to yer own personal taste. There are recipes available on various noticeboards.

(‘it “has a rich, almost winey flavor but is denser and drier than regular sweet potatoes,” writes the LA Times’s David Karp, who recently penned a delightfully thorough profile of the unusual vegetable.’ Source: https://parade.com/20179/linzlowe/what-the-heck-is-a-purple-sweet-potato-and-how-do-you-cook-it/)
  2. Mollywobbles Member

Thank yer kindly Miss Pycella!!!

The work you put into this Yule Calendar is amazing! Wonderful content! Well done!

Molly
  3. Pycella Member

17.jpg

In our 17th Yule calendar surprise, Master Wildigard introduces us to a local tune with a grand message that fits Yuletide too. Here is a short introduction by him and the song itself!

Here is a song named "Path" by our latvian band - Soundpoets. We have two grand band from Latvia, Prāta Vētra (Brainstorm) and Soundpoets, and they are both from a wonderful city Jelgava, near our capital city Rīga.

Here is the song and my translation. This one is in Latvian but they also sing in English.

This song was dedicated for friends and calls for doing what you have planned to do but have not done.

In Latvian
    Ceļojums
    Negaidīti iesācies
    Mērķis zināms tomēr liegts
    Iekšā virmo satraukums

Tagad man
    Kompasi un kartes jūk
    Domu pavedieni zūd
    Tomēr viss tik vienkāršs top

Vēl nē, vēl nē
    Vēl neapstāšos es
    Es iešu kur vēl nav būts
    Kur vedīs mani ceļš

Vēlos sev
    Dzīves skaistos brīžus krāt
    Mazās laimes nosargāt
    Kabatā ņemt vienmēr līdz

Un dienās, kad
    Koferi un somas zūd
    Kad kilometru pēdas zūst
    Man viena ceļa biedra trūkst

Vēl nē, vēl nē
    Vēl neapstāšos es
    Es iešu kur vēl nav būts 2x
    Kur vedīs mani ceļš

Vēl nē
    Vēl neapstāšos es
    Es iešu kur vēl nav būts

Vēl nē
    Vēl neapstāšos es
    Es iešu kur vēl nav būts 2x
    Kur vedīs mani ceļš

In English
    Adventure
    Start unexpectedly
    Goals are known but denied
    Excitement swirling inside

Now for me
    Compasses and maps go mad
    Threads of thought are staring to lose
    But suddenly everything is getting so simple

No more, no more
    Will never I would stop
    I'll go where I have not been
    Where road will lead me to

I wish myself
    To save the beautiful moments of life
    To protect those small happiness moments
    Always take them with me in my pocket

And at days when
    Suitcases and bags are lost
    When a kilometers of traces disappear
    I only miss my friend

No more, no more
    Will never I would stop

No more
    Will never I would stop

No more, no more
    Will never I would stop
    Rubellita, Potty, Simbo and 2 others like this.
  4. Pycella Member

18.jpg

For our 18th calendar surprise, we have a Yule dessert recipe from Miss Lina! 's a sweet apple treat with an interesting background story.

[IMG]

Tilslørte bondepiker - Veiled peasant girls

Apples are lovely in many hobbit dishes, not least Brockenborings apple brandy. However, since the shirrif will likely put me in the lockhouse if I make the brandy recipe public, here's a slightly more innocent thing to make for the yule tide.
    So, yer want a simple, yet ever so tasty yule dessert? Look no further than tilslørte bondepiker (veiled peasant girls)

This is a traditional Scandinavian dessert, although you'll find variations of it elsewhere too. It consists of layers of mashed apples, caramelized breadcrumbs and whipped cream. There are probably lots of explanations as to why the dish got its name. The apples might be the peasant girls covered under a veil of whipped cream. Here in Norway, at least, legends has it that it is related to a philologist called Ivar Aaasen. He is most famous for having assembled (from dialects) one of the two official written versions of the Norwegian language, Nynorsk. Far less known is the fact that he was madly in love with a local girl who made these lovely desserts from apples and cream. One day, the girl offered him a taste of her sweets, which made Aasen cheer up considerably and hope the best for the night ahead. When he found out that nothing else was on the menu than the apple dessert, he was so disappointed he called the dish "veiled peasant girls".

Here's how you can make the dessert, about four serving portions:

Apple mash:
    4 apples (firm and slightly acidic)
    4 tblspoons sugar
    0.5 dl water

Caramelized breadcrumbs:
    6 tblspoons crumbs from dry bread or rusks
    2 tlbspoons butter
    2 tblspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon

Whipped cream:
    3 dl heavy whipping cream
    Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar

You need ca 2 dl of mashed apples. You can buy that in the store, or alternatively make it yourself with the ingredients above. Peel the apples, remove the cores, then slice into cubes. Add the apple cubes in a cooking pot with the sugar and the water. Boil until the apples are tender and start mushing up. Cool before use.

To prepare the breadcrumbs, melt the butter and the sugar in a pan. Add the breadcrumbs and sizzle well until crunchy (but be careful not to burn it). Sprinkle with cinnamon, stir, and set aside to cool.

To serve, whip the cream until nice and fluffy. Either use individual small bowls/glasses or one huge serving bowl. Add layers of apple mash, caramelized crumbs and whipped cream. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of crumbs, alternatively add some sliced almonds on the top for good measure. If you want something green, add a leaf or two of lemon balm.

Serve more or less immediately. If you wait too long after layering up, the crumbs will lose their crispy crunch. It'll still taste good, though!

Picture from: Opplysningskontoret for brød og korn
    Ragwort, Wildigard, Rubellita and 2 others like this.
  5. Pycella Member

19.jpg

Our 19th Yule calendar surprise comes from... you! Some time ago, I asked the LOTRO community to send me their Yule tree pictures, including local and personal indoor Yule trees, so that I could make a video from them for this calendar. It was a success: I received dozens of pictures from all over the world. Now, here is the video I managed to put together:

Yule Trees From Lotro Players

I am not a wizard with moving pictures, so I made a quite simple slide show video with some copyright-free music on the background. I hope that I didn't add too many mispelled names, mix up locations, and forget any sent pictures, forgetful and busy lass that I sometimes am. Many thanks to everyone who sent pictures, each and every picture was lovely! It cheered me up to see how grand this community is. And a special thanks to LOTRO staff for promoting this initiative in their B(e)acon Issue and elsewhere! Oh, and thank you for those lovely, new ingame Yule trees you designed for us! *cheers* A merry Yule to everyone!
  6. Lina Chief

Grand! Thank you for putting together the video!
    Pycella likes this.
  7. Rubellita Member

Well done, Pycella!
    Pycella likes this.
  8. Wildigard Member

Great work miss Pycella! Cheers!
    Pycella likes this.
  9. Pycella Member

20.jpg

For our 20th Yule calendar surprise, we have a pink snowbeast paper doll! Last year, we had a similar paper doll, a Yule Man paper doll. This year, you can print this snowbeast lass to give him some company! The snowbeast might look a bit like one of the Order members who often dresses up as a snowbeast on Yule. I also added a Yule dress, for events where this snowbeast must be in disguise. You might still add the horned cap though! And I also made pink bagpipes for the snowbeast, I bet she likes to play those. Attached is the PDF for printing (or just download this picture here and print it). I recommend you use strong paper or glue some backing paper on the back side of the doll, so that it will last longer. Enlargen the picture and/or adjust color settings if needed.

Snowbeast paperdoll.jpg

This snowbeast might also appear in the Yule video miss Lina is currently working on. You can also spot her in the end of this 2016 video here:

The 2016 Laurelin hobbit yule video

And attention hobbits: tomorrow is the last day to send your Yule portraits to Miss Lina so that she can add them to this year's Yule video! For more information, please read this post.

Attached Files:

10. Pycella Member

21.jpg

In our 21st Yule calendar entry, we have some more wintery pictures from Piandao! He has strolled around in Winterhome and captured the folks there. Lovely drawings!

winter (1).jpg
    Coolest of Friends

winter (6).jpg
    A bearded fiddler

yule (1).jpg
    Merry Yule to all!
    Rubellita, Ragwort, Wildigard and 2 others like this.
  11. Pycella Member

22.jpg

For our 22th Yule calendar surprise, we have one more recipe for the holidays! Let me introduce you to a "pie" that fits all occasions, also Yule!

IMG_20181222_110542.jpg

Rice pasties

Remember the rice porridge recipe Miss Lina shared in the calendar some days ago? If you made it and have some left, you could make some rice pasties from it!

Rice pasties (also known as Karelian pasties) are a traditional Finnish food. The most common version of this pasty has a rye-wheat crust and a rice porridge filling, but other fillings feature buckwheat, barley and potato. The pasties are rather easy to bake (making the porridge is the hardest and longest part in my opinion). The pasties are not only a Yule dish – we eat them all year through, at feasts, for breakfast, as a snack… But they go down well during Yuletide too.

First, make the porridge. You can use the recipe from miss Lina’s entry.

When the rice porridge is ready and has cooled down, you can make the crust. Here are two alternatives: one with rye and wheat, and the other one with buckwheat (if you have the coeliac disease and can’t eat wheat nor rye). Pick either one! I personally like the buckwheat one, it gives the pasty a nice and crispy crust, but not too thick.

1. Preheat the oven to 250 °C.

2. Mix the dough (pick either one of these two alternatives, a or b):

a) For the rye–wheat dough:
    2 dl cold water
    2 tsp salt
    3 dl rye flour
    2 dl wheat flour

Mix the salt with the cold water. Little by little, add the rye flour, then the wheat flour and knead into a solid dough.

b) For the buckwheat dough:
    2 dl cold water
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp psyllium husk
    3 dl buckwheat flour

Mix the salt and psyllium husk with the cold water, and let the husk swell in the water for 10 minutes. Little by little, add the buckwheat flour and knead into a solid dough.

3. Add so much flour that the dough doesn’t stick to your fingers. Sprinkle some flour (rye/buckwheat) onto the baking board and roll the dough into a bar. Cut the bar into small pieces (~20 pcs.). Roll the pieces into small balls and flatten these so that you get thin (0.5 cm) circle-shaped crusts.

IMG_20181129_135511.jpg

4. Put some rice porridge into the middle of the crust, and leave some free space on the side edges. Do not add too much porridge. Lift the side edges up and push over the filling, then ”pinch” them down firmly. This way, you will get oval-shaped pasties.

IMG_20181129_135529.jpg

5. Bake the pasties in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes until they are golden brown.

6. Mix some melted butter with some milk (you can use a 50–50 ratio or melted butter only). When the pasties have been baked, brush the pasties with the butter–milk mix (this will soften the crust).

If there is some extra dough, you can just bake it into small flat breads without filling.

You can eat the pasties as they are, but if you like, you can add butter or egg-butter spread.

Simbo, Potty, Rubellita and 3 others like this.
  12. Pycella Member

23.jpg
    For our 23rd YUle calendar surprise, we have an article written by Miss Almi. Here, she suggests some alternative Yule travel destinations for hobbits who want to avoid the busy Winterhome.

Yule Travel Destinations

Yule is here, and Frostbluff has opened its gates yet again. The streets swarm with helpers, cleaners, pickpockets and keg smugglers. You get hit by snowballs here and there, get trampled by big folks and their deer mounts, the snowy grims make you snow-blind for minutes, you fail in cheering up snowbeasts, and the Old Bloodtusk play is cancelled YET AGAIN. Starting to feel grumpy, hobbit? That won’t do. I recommend you search for the Spirit of Yule somewhere else in Middle-earth. Here are four travel recommendations for you to get in a real Yule mood. Or not. Well, let’s see what they are.

Thorin’s Hole / Blue Mountains

The area around the Blue Mountains is a good winter destination for hobbits with a low travel budget. A carriage ride from Needlehole doesn’t cost much and doesn’t last too long to Thorin’s Hole. Thorin’s Hole is a grand place for culture geeks: it hosts many popular music festivals and events (Dwarves’ Night Out, Winterfest, Winterstock). There is a decent tavern and a refreshing indoor river to for anyone who still hasn’t had a Yule bath. Oh, and as you can imagine, it is the miners’ favourite Yule destination. Just don’t dig too deep – it might wake up some nasty creatures, like hibernating hedgehogs.

Thorins Hole.jpg
    The dance goes ever on and on in Thorin’s Hole

Forochel

If you have more coin and time to spare, you might consider Forochel, a wintery region with beautiful northern lights north of Oatbarton. It is a bit scarier to travel there, so please bring a sturdy rolling pin or frying pan along. It is the number one place to have your Yule bath – you will definitely have that “reborn” feeling after you had dipped yourself into the icy cold lake. Also, it is a grand place to catch a fish, so juicy sweet! If you feel more adventurous, you might want to take a look at the Snowbeasts, “Peikko”, which are abominable to say the least. The Lossoth folks also ride on Mammoths or Norsu. This place is probably not the best spot to look for culture events – most bards play horribly, probably because their fingers are either frozen or inside thick mittens. But yes, fishes and cool baths! Put them on your list. Oh, and you might have a slightly foggy feeling after your Forochel trip – I blame their hard drinks.

Forochel.jpg
    The quality of music is influenced by the use of thick gloves

Misty Mountains

If you love blizzards and dangerous activities such as jumping off cliffs, you should travel to the Misty Mountains area. The accommodation options are few, mostly some campsite tents and uncomfortable strongholds where your sleep will be disturbed by loud snoring sounds, probably originating from a dwarf or a dragon. The food is bad, even though the meat is rumoured to be back on the menu in Goblin Town. Not much for culture lovers in this area either. Not much of anything. Well, if you look for a brutal and possibly the most painful death, you have plenty of options here (get killed by giants, snowbeasts, bears with winter-sleeping disorders, wargs, worms, goblins, and numerous other evil creatures one can imagine, plus all those chances of falling off cliffs when you do a Misty Mountain Hop). So, hmmm. Well, let’s look at one more alternative destination, shall we?

Misty Mountains.jpg
    Most of your Yule self-portraits will end up like this

Wildermore

Now, we come to our last destination which is my personal favourite: Wildermore! If you have the coin, I strongly recommend that you come here. Taverns, snowmen, beautiful icy crystals here and there, good services all around. Forlaw is a wonderful town with picturesque, rustic cottages that certainly make a hobbit feel like home. The tavern has a heated terrace with live music, and there’s always a pork roasting on the fire. Take a stroll through the town, pop into the shops, and go pat the horses and chucks at the stables. And if you go outside of town, you will discover a hunters’ paradise: elks, bulls, all you need for your pie filling. After all that, you can go and rest in Thrymm Red-beard’s home and let his songbird sing you to sleep. This travel destination leaves no-one cold, despite the outside temperatures: it has the right peaceful feeling one seeks on Yuletide. Bring your friends, and Forlaw covers all the rest.

Forlaw.jpg
    Pork! Do I need to say more? Wildermore!

A Merry Yule to all of you,
    Miss Almi
    A nanny, huntress and a Yule bath lover
    Wildigard, Rubellita and Potty like this.
  13. Pycella Member

24.jpg

Finally! It's Yule eve and time for our last Yule calendar surprise. Like last year, it is the Laurelin hobbit Yule video Miss Lina made with a little help from Shire Quickpost hobbits, dancers and a snowbeast! Packed with pure hobbity magic, it is the most wonderful way to end this calendar and get into cheerful Yule mood. Here it is, along with a few words from Miss Lina.

Thank you again everyone who helped with the hobbity Yule calendar, especially everyone who sent their Yule tree pictures for the video! It has been a lot of fun to organize this calendar, and I hope you have enjoyed it too! A merry Yule to everyone!

____________________________________________________________________________________

The 2018 yule video

Since 2012, I have made yule videos where the hobbit players on Laurelin are invited to take part. Many players attend the video shoots, send in screenshots and offer up ideas. This year, we had record numbers of hobbits showing up for the video shoots, more than could fit in a raid. Many thanks to all who helped out! There were too many of yer to list in the credits (and I was also afraid I might miss one or two…). Yer help, assistance and good cheer was absolutely vital for the making of this video, though!

If you think this all looks fun, please join us hobbits on Laurelin. There are lots of things happening here. You can read about the events in my own hobbit calendar or in the Bramblebury Gazette, the local hobbit newspaper.

So without further ado: The 2018 Laurelin hobbit yule video (full-screen and high-definition recommended)!

The 2018 Yule video by Laurelin hobbits

Read more about the background and making of this video on Miss Lina's Biscuity Burrow!
    Rubellita, Pennyroyal, Potty and 2 others like this.
  14. Lina Chief

Thanks for the grand work on the calendar, Pycella, also to all who helped out with both the calendar and the video. A merry yuletide to everyone!
    Potty likes this.
  15. Rubellita Member

It's been again a wonderful calendar, Pycella! A happy moment for each day in the time before Yule.

Thanks for making it and also special thanks to Miss Lina for making another great video (with hardly any water splashing this time!)

A Merry Yule to all my dear Hobbit friends!
  16. Ambrinna Member

Grand work Miss Pycella and Miss Lina! A Merry Yule to everyone!
  17. Wildigard Member

Doh, that's a grand one! Cheers hobbits/elfs/dwarfs/highelfs/man/beornings/orcs/trolls/goblinses etc friends & Merry (twitter tweet) Yule! *smile*
    Indeed, Grand work Miss Pycella and Miss Lina!
  18. Pennyroyal Member

Thanks for the grand calendar Miss Pycella! A marvellous read and some good ideas to try out in the kitchen. Right, I've a dolly to assemble! *cheers*
    Rubellita and Potty like this.
  19. Potty Member

Merry Yule to all our friends in the Shire and beyond!

I much enjoyed this year's Yule calendar and the Yule drawin'!

Thank yer both, Miss Pycella and Miss Lina!
  20. Nimelia Voluntary Assistant Chief

Aye, beautiful work as always - a big thank you to both of you, and all who contributed!

Have a grand hobbity Yule, everyone!