Story The Squirrel Hobbit

Discussion in 'Stories & Tales' started by Pennyroyal, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Pennyroyal Member

[IMG]
    A Painting Penny found rolled-up in an aunt's second-best larder

Aunt Dilly remembers this tale from when she was a child:

The Squirrel Hobbit
    Once not so very long ago, on the Great Northern Ups ‘n’ Downs, a wizard dressed in brown went for a stroll. To his surprise he spied a child up a yew tree playing with a family of squirrels! Now, wizards are very clever and this wizard could talk to all the animals in Middle Earth. Well, the nice ones at least. I dare say he has little time for tea and conversation with spiders and slugs.

“Now what’s all this? He asked, “A Man-child up a tree all alone?”

The chief squirrel (yes, squirrels have chiefs – who’d have thought it!) replied, “This is not a Man-child, it’s a Hobbit-child! His family were chased by wolves and he fell out of their cart.”

“We’ve adopted him!”

“That will never do”, said the wizard, “He must be returned to his people.”

So the wizard took the child. After consulting with his friend, a wizard dressed in grey who knew of Hobbits, he found his way to The Shire. And so the hobbit-child was found a new home with some well-to-do relatives, sensible folk who don’t go off adventuring in carts. With that you might think the story would end.

Not so...

At first the child wore his new smart clothes, did all his chores, and behaved himself. But slowly and surely his squirrel-ly upbringing grew stronger within him! And as we all know, squirrel-ly thoughts all too soon become squirrel-ly actions.

One day he hid in a tree and dropped nuts on a sleeping bounder’s head!

Another day he buried some pies under a tree for Spring!

Another day he stole seeds from a bird table!

Another day he nibbled through a clothes-line, and the dresses fell in the mud!

Another day... Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, eventually the day dawned when the child had vanished!

The bounders followed a trail of nibbled nuts to the Northern Bounds. There they found a pile of discarded smart clothes. The strange Men that ranged beyond the bounds said the Hobbit-child was last seen disappearing towards the Great Northern Ups ‘n’ Downs.

The Hobbits consulted with the wizard dressed in grey, and he consulted with the wizard dressed in brown. It was decided the Hobbit-child would be happiest with his squirrel family and the brown wizard would care for his safety.

And there this strange tale ends. But...

If you are ever in the remotest corner of the Great Northern Ups ‘n’ Downs. Perhaps you will catch a glimpse of the Squirrel-Hobbit dancing and playing with his squirrel friends.

The End.

[IMG]
    [At one time in LOTRO it was possible to leave the maps at certain places and explore the landscape between them. There were sometimes little Easter eggs to be found. One of the best known was a trail north from Ost Guruth in the the Lone-Lands, over the mountains east of Bree-Land and ending in the SE corner of the North Downs. There you could find a hobbit dancing on a rock circled by running squirrels.]
    Akelay, Nimelia, Simbo and 3 others like this.
  2. Lina Chief

Yay, a grand tale, miss Penny! I'll look well for a squirrelly hobbit should I travel up there again!
  3. Tibba Voluntary Assistant Chief

A wonderful tale! *cheers* And I am glad the lad got back to his squirrel friends, even if he only eats nuts. *can't imagine getting by without pork and mushroom pies*
  4. Lully Member

Yay! What a lovely story!
  5. Simbo Bandmaster of the Songburrow Strollers

A wonderful tale!
    I have indeed tried to seek this squirrel hobbit, but I fear the path there has become blocked.....
  6. Lully Member

Take Jiro and Nimelia with you next time. Tell them there is ore just ahead. They'll have it unblocked in no time! ;)
    Akelay and Tibba like this.
  7. Rowana Voluntary Assistant Chief (Semi-retired)

What an amusing and delightful tale, I never did see this strange sight with my own eyes.
  8. Nimelia Voluntary Assistant Chief

A grand story indeed, and with those paintings of that peculiar Hobbit almost a mathom in itself!
    *cheers for Miss Pennyroyal*