Information The Wheel Of Time Turns To Spring

Discussion in 'Latest News' started by Lina, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Lina Voluntary Assistant Chief

[IMG]

It is that time of the year again. Spring is near, birds will return and the nights are shorter. Oh, and the mayor gets that urge to start fiddling with our clocks again. The start of Daylight Saving Time is near!

Daylight Saving Time

Many countries follow the practice of Daylight Saving Time (DST). This involves advancing clocks during summer months so that people can experience more daylight in the evenings. Typically, users of DST adjust clocks forward one hour near the start of spring and adjust them back again in the autumn.

The start of DST and the forward adjusting of clocks is now near for both the EU and the US. However, the tricky part is that countries do not adjust their clocks at the same dates. For the coming weeks, this may lead to problems for event planning in LOTRO, because:
    • The US adjust the clocks forward one hour in the morning oft Sunday March 8. This also includes LOTRO servertime.
    • The EU won't adjust the clocks until Sunday March 29
    This one-our offset from the usual time difference is a right bother, and it might make many miss out on planned events.

An example: Events on Laurelin, like the ones in our calendar, are given in UK/London time. For the most part of the year, the difference between UK time and servertime is five hours. To convert the times in the calendar to servertime, yer usually just subtract five hours.

For the coming weeks, though, from tomorrow morning until the morning of Sunday March 29, the difference is just four hours. This is surely something to be aware of if yer plan to attend our events!

Good luck sorting this out!
    Last edited by Lina, Mar 7, 2015
  2. Lina Voluntary Assistant Chief

Daylight Saving Time difference again!

The US switched to DST this morning (March 12), while the EU won't do so for two weeks still, on Sunday March 26. So for the coming two weeks, our US members should note that our events will start an hour later for you (for instance, 7:30PM UK time will be 3:30PM servertime)
    Neti, Pycella and Rubysue like this.
  3. Nimelia Voluntary Assistant Chief

Dang, I can never remember what that means for Nimelia time ... need to be careful so the times don't accidentally sync up, now that would be silly.
  4. Simbo Bandmaster of the Songburrow Strollers

DST actually stands for "Dishwashing (for the) Shirriff Time", I believe.....
    Potty and Pycella like this.
  5. Potty Member

It might stand fer "Dodgin' Snowballs Time" as well tough......
    Pycella likes this.
  6. Rubysue Member

For me, this time o' year has the Super Anti Nimelia Time effect. I already have to do some rithmatic on me fingers, but for the next couple weeks I gotta use both hands, else I'll be standing about, scratchin' me head, and wondering where ever'body is at. Then they'll start turning up an hour later.
    Pycella and Potty like this.
  7. Rubellita Member

This is sure to give my dear Uncle Peppy a headache every Spring and Fall (see his full editorial), but The Gazette strives to always mention the correct server time next to the UK time.
    Calculating and indicating the correct Nimelia time, however, is beyond his arithmetic skills!
    Potty, Pycella and Rubysue like this.